Spring cleaning isn't just about refreshing your wardrobe; this season is perfect for sifting through all the sludge in our heads and clearing space for renewed mental clarity.
We love this meditation for "Spring Cleaning the Mind" from the The Chopra Center.
- Sit comfortably in an upright position, either in a chair with your legs uncrossed and your feet flat on the ground or on a cushion.
- Close your eyes and begin to take slow, deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth.
- Next, bring to mind any thoughts, ideas, or beliefs that have become stagnant, non-serving, or irrelevant.
- One by one, or all at once, see if you can connect to what their original purpose was. Do they have a reason for still existing? Is there something further to explore or is the energy ready to be dissolved and returned to its purest form?
- When you come to the realization that it's time to let go of mind clutter—much in the same way you would give away an old jacket that you never wear anymore—thank it for having served its purpose and take in any learning or wisdom it has to impart.
- Next, imagine seeing it dissolve like a morning layer of fog as the sun shines through, or visualize erasing it from a chalkboard to reveal a fresh, clean slate.
- Once you've cleared away that which no longer needs to occupy your mind, spend some time connecting to the open space you have created in your internal world. The space that you've cultivated doesn't mean the mind is now empty. Rather, see it as being filled with the element of space, which represents pure potentiality.
- Next, invite in a new thought or belief in the form of an intention for something you would like to manifest in the coming days, weeks, or months. Perhaps there is an old idea that you want to take off the shelf, dust off a bit, and revisit—maybe it's finally writing that book or starting the project that's been in the back of your mind for years.
- Bring your new intention to the forefront of your mind and imagine planting it like a seed in the fertile soil of your soul and then ask the Universe to orchestrate the mechanics for its fulfillment on your behalf.
- Then, let go of the intention—trusting that the Universe will work out the details—and take a few slow, deep breaths before opening your eyes.